Saturday 30 June 2012

Introducing "A Tale of Two Cats"

Although I have been a cat owner for almost a year and a half now, it still feels somewhat bizarre when I say it out loud. Indeed, if someone had told me eighteen months ago that in a year's time I'd own not just one but two cats, I would have laughed in their face and kindly asked them to leave my house. Of course, this wasn't quite my reaction when someone actually did suggest that I adopt a cat. Then again, it was probably for the best; I don't think asking my partner to leave would have gone down too well. Nevertheless, even though I am now technically a cat owner, I take great care not to give people the impression that I am some kind of pet lover. That is not to suggest that I dislike animals, I'd just rather they weren't anywhere near me or my belongings. I will admit, however, that this was a much easier task before we adopted Mona and Tilly.

But as far as I'm concerned, being a cat owner and a pet lover are two entirely separate ailments. You see, although it makes sense to think of Mona and Till as my "pets", I am still not completely convinced that this is true. On the contrary, I have come to the somewhat depressing conclusion that if anyone can be labelled as the "pet" in this relationship, it is most likely myself. After all, if a pet can be defined as an animal domesticated for amusement or companion, then in the eyes of Mona and Till I most definitely fit the bill. And yet, it is true that I get a lot of amusement out of them. After all, they are a funny pair and this is the reason why I have decided to embark upon a new project in which I hope to capture and document their antics for all posterity. Well, that and the fact that I have far too much time on my hands! Either way, head on over to "A Tale of Two Cats".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I did a thought...